Monday, August 18, 2008

Easing back into the routine.

Well, after a long, hot, rainy summer, we are back to school. We are using a lot of new curriculum this year, and we've completed a week and a day at this point and all's well! The kids even told their friends that we had a "great" first week back to school. That warmed my heart.

Nick got sick midway through the first week, and after giving him some medicine, I found him asleep on the couch with his science book open across his chest. I felt so bad for him. You know what I did? I took his picture! Then, when he woke up, reminded him that he still needed to finish his science. He's got a tough teacher this year!

Ciara is struggling through a Heroes of the Faith biography and it's got me wondering if I need to require these later in her homeschool journey. She is just now really loving reading for fun, and I certainly don't want to bog her down with books she doesn't care for. Especially when there is so much good literature out there for her to choose from. I think after she finishes this one, I'll put the rest of the series on hold until high school. Maybe I'll have her read the Around the World in Eighty Mysteries books that I bought to go along with our Geography Trail Guide studies. They seem like much more fun for a 6th grader!

We're having a hard time getting up on time in the mornings, especially with us having caught a bug of some sort. We're still getting started earlier than we were at the end of last year, but I'd like to start earlier so we can be completely done with school by lunchtime.

I just joined the Blogger Class Mates 2008-2009 group tonight and am anxiously awaiting my first assignment. If you are interested in getting to know more Homeschool Moms and like to write, check it out. The information is here: The Homeschool Blog Awards » Blog Archive » Blogger Class Mates 2008-2009 It sounds like it's going to be fun!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I'm glad to see you updating your blog! Z read one of the Christian Heroes Then and Now biographies (this one on Eric Liddell because he was an Olympic Champion as well as a Missionary in China) and he enjoye it (for the most part- it WAS required reading, after all). I am trying to find one of that series for each country we cover. Ciara might not struggle so much with that particular series... There is also a Young Reader series of the same sort, which I am looking to find for C.

Our Family

HS teddy